Bolour Immigration Group

US Immigration - L-Visas

Work Visa: 

L-1 visas are a specialized type of temporary work visa that allow a multinational company to transfer employees from their overseas Office to their company's affiliated office located within the United States. 

When considering an L visa, you should first ask yourself if your company is a multinational company. 

In the L context, this requirement is satisfied if you have a Company overseas (outside of the U.S.) with a parent company, branch, subsidiary, or affiliate company (qualifying organization) located in the U.S., or, alternatively the overseas company is in the process of opening up a qualifying organization in the U.S.  

If this is the case, then an L visa is a possible avenue that can be used to transfer a manager, executive or specialized knowledge employee from the foreign office to the U.S. office. 

There are two types of L-1 visas.  L-1A and L-1B.   L-1A visas apply to executives and managers, while L-1B visas apply to workers with specialized knowledge. 

If you seek to transfer an executive or manager to the U.S. Office, then an L-1A visa is the category for you.  

There are numerous requirements that need to be satisfied for an L-1A visa.  The first, is to demonstrate the executive or manager (prospective transferee) worked for the overseas company in an executive or managerial capacity for at least one continuous year in the past three years. Second, you must demonstrate the executive or manager is seeking to enter the U.S. to work for the affiliated U.S. company in an executive or managerial capacity for the duration of his or her stay.  

Of course, there are specifics within these general requirements that must be satisfied in order to prevail.  If, however, the foregoing general requirements apply to you or your company then an L-1A visa is likely an avenue that is available to you.  

USCIS does closely scrutinize L1 petitions, so it is important to support your petition with detailed and specific documentary evidence as well as a strong supporting brief to explain why you qualify for this classification. With the right immigration firm on your team success can be obtained.  

If you are interested in transferring a manager or executive to a branch, subsidiary or affiliated Office in the U.S., we are here to help. 

Please do not hesitate to contact the Bolour Immigration Group for more information or to schedule a consultation.  


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Immigration Law Is All That We Do

Los Angeles Office
1601 Vine Street
Los Angeles, CA 90028

Phone: 323-218-0465
Map & Directions

Palm Springs Office
777 East Tahquitz Canyon Way
Suite 200-77
Palm Springs, CA 92262

Phone: 323-218-0465
Phone: 760-969-5077 x1077
Map & Directions

Salinas Office
369 Main Street - Suite M5
Salinas, CA 93901

Phone: 323-218-0465
Phone: 831-318-3080
Map & Directions

Law Pay