Fiance Immigraiton Petitions for LGBTQ Community

Posted by Alexander Carl | Jul 11, 2019 | 0 Comments

When applying for a K-1 fiancé(e) visa, being gay can add undue hardship to the process. Generally speaking, to qualify for a K-1 visa, one partner must be a U.S. citizen, both parties legally free and intend to marry, and that the partners need to have met each other in person within the two year preceding the filing of the I-129F petition. The process further requires that the foreign fiancé(e) file for a visa at their local embassy.

            If the foreign fiancé(e) resides in a country that persecutes LGBT individuals, both the in-person meeting and the filing at the local embassy create problems. Luckily, as specified on the USCIS website, the need to meet your fiancé(e)  in person can be waived if, "The requirement to meet your fiancé(e) in person would violate strict and long-established customs of your fiancé(e)'s foreign culture or social practice," or if the requirement would place extreme hardship on the applicant.

            Having to attend a visa application at a local embassy can also be problematic if it forces the beneficiary out of the closet and places them in immediate danger. Furthermore, the I-129F requires family information and outing oneself to homophobic family can place strain on the ability of said person to obtain the necessary information.

            The requirement to obtain a visa at a local county can also be waived by sending an email to the National Visa Center and stating the reason.  The email will also need to suggest up to three alternate U.S. consulates, in order of preference, where their fiance would like to attend the visa interview." Unfortunately for someone of limited means, this restricts them to countries in the immediate surroundings. 

            Our office routinely handles these cases and can offer help.  

            by Molly Kleinman, Summer Intern

About the Author

Alexander Carl

Partner - Bolour / Carl Immigration Group, APC. 323-218-0465 Email: Email Me Areas of Practice Business Immigration Family Immigration athletes, entertainers and artists Naturalization Education Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, California Juris...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Let Us Earn Your Trust

Bolour / Carl Immigration Group is a full service immigration law firm. We have been representing immigrants, nonimmigrants, families, businesses, employees, and the like, from around the globe for over 25 years. With over 25 years of experience exclusively in the field of Immigration Law, we have garnered the knowledge to handle the most complex cases and adequately represent a wide range of clientele. The size of our firm ensures that all of our clients receive hands on service from their attorneys and a direct line of communication with our attorneys.Learn More