Asylum in the United States may be sought for foreign citizens in the U.S. who have been persecuted or fear persecution in their homeland if they return . Asylum is also known as political asylum and pertains to persecution based on one's race, religion, nationality, membership in a social group, or one's political beliefs. If you fall in this category, you must apply for asylum with one year of entering the U.S. Being granted asylum will allow you to remain in this country.

If you need legal assistance in applying for asylum, we advise you to contact the Bolour Immigration Group to discuss your situation with our Los Angeles immigration lawyer. Our firm is dedicated solely to the practice of U.S. immigration law; thus, we have extensive experience and a strong command of all facets of this legal field.


When applying for asylum, you must be able to prove that the persecution is politically based. Political unrest in your country, financial hardship, and being the victim of an arbitrary crime will not qualify you for asylum.

In applying for asylum, you can also include a spouse and unmarried children under 21 on your application if they are living in the U.S. If they are not, you can petition to bring them to the U.S. once you are granted asylum. You will have two years to file this petition. Once you are granted asylum, you may work in the U.S. If you are waiting for your asylum application to be decided and 150 days have passed with no decision forthcoming, you may apply for permission to work, which is referred to as an employment authorization.

One year after being granted asylum, you may file for a green card which will give you lawful permanent residency.

Contact the Los Angeles immigration attorneyat the firm if you need help applying for asylum today.